Monday 11 February 2013

Rate Naija: Café Vanessa


CAFÉ VANESSA, Italian Restaurant
89B, Agoro Odiyan Street), Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria
+234(0)806-123-0003


I was car-hunting when my eyes fell on the landscape that is Café Vanessa. I knew right off the bat it was a new spot and promised I would take the time to check it out sooner than later. The perfect opportunity came around during some random public holiday this month (side note – holidays shoved midweek are the worst. They feel like sick days most of the time and it’s a pain getting back to work right after).

Anyway, I made lunch plans with E to check it out. Right from the second we walked through the door, the service was effusive, in fact, almost overwhelmingly so. First, we had a mini tour of the place. Turns out the restaurant is the front of a club called Auto Lounge (which I’d heard about but never been to) and they had only been open for a month.

The décor and set-up reminded me of Bistro Lounge – not a lot of space but they did miracles with they had. One half is a more casual setting with comfy chairs, magazines to peruse, and cozy cubby spaces by the windows. The other half is the more formal restaurant with the usual settings. A door then leads into the actual club which is quite large and would be the ideal space for a surprise party or something of the sort (not that I’m not secretly hinting my loved ones…not really).


Finally, we settled down to eat. I was a little disappointed with the menu as it was not expansive at all. I don’t quite want a manual but a pamphlet doesn’t quite do it either. Their drinks menu, on the other hand, was quite the handbook but we weren’t drinking that day. The fare was mostly Italian but they had some steak and lamb options on there. As it was, I had a hard time deciding what to get but eventually opted for the shrimp fettuccini while E got the shrimp ravioli.

Verdict – YUMMY! The sauce was just right, the pasta was al dente, and a hefty sprinkling of cheese topped it all off. I loved it and it definitely made up for the limited options. The serving was just right and so we had no problem scraping it all up. I would definitely return just for the pasta and the service as well.

Pros:
Lovely set-up and décor, and you get the option of going casual or staying formal depending on where you decide to sit.
Great pasta dishes.
Free Wi-Fi.
Service was quite overenthusiastic. They did get points taken off for messing about with the check more than once at the end, though.
 
Cons:
Points off for the limited menu options.  I mean, how do you not have chicken options??? Sorry to reinforce the stereotype but as a black woman, I love me my chicken.
Prices for some dishes, such as the steaks, are rather steep.
Their fresh pineapple juice needs a lot of work. I struggled to get mine down as it was thick and tasteless.

Ideas for improvement:
Expand that menu ASAP.
Have light fares to folks to munch on while waiting for entrees – bread, nuts or something. They did improvise and serve pineapple slices when we complained.
Improve non-virgin drinks as fresh pineapple juice was a poor representative.

3.7 stars out of 5

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment